Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Carry What Remains


The men with blank faces load me
And the women start to cry
Telling her sons they’ll be just fine
Mother tells a white lie

Yanks come though chasing our heroes
They take all that they can heave
Our home was broken and burned last night
I guess it’s time to leave

Bags, blankets, and chairs I carry
The young boys sit on some stools
Everyone else walks beside me
As I am pulled by two mules

We’re headed for a safer place they say
Their hands still trembling with fear
We slowly start on down the road
For the yanks we still can hear

We’ll have to start our lives over
In a new town, a new place
Wishing this was all a bad dream
Father says “pick up the pace”.

1 comment:

brad said...

Great Poem, you included everything very well. This was a very interesting interpretation of the wagon. Good Job.

30/30