Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Fight Between Brothers

I have an older brother named Johnny. We have a long history of confrontation and opposition. I tend to be rather calm, while he is known to have spurts of obnoxiousness. One day we were arguing about something I can’t even remember. To end the pointless argument which had lasted for over five minutes, I simply turned around to walk away. My brother on the other hand didn’t want it to end. He shoved me from behind in a way that whiplashed my neck. Now I also didn’t want this to end. Johnny had turned a verbal argument into something physical, and I was not going to let it go. I turned and kicked him in the back as hard as I could. He then grabbed my shoulders and started to knee me in the stomach repeatedly. Suddenly he slammed my back to the ground and while on top of me, raised his right fist to deliver a final blow. Knowing that I had to avoid this strike, I waited for the right moment. As he brought down his fist I moved my head to the right and shot my left arm up. I used my left arm to deflect his striking right hand, although it still nicked the top of my head. I then punched at him with my reaching right fist that connected with his nose. It wasn’t a solid hit, but I was able to make him lose his balance enough that I was able to throw him off of me. We both stood and shouted our final insults and accusations as to who was a fault. We both then turned around and walked in opposite directions. One thing I learned from this was to not argue with someone who has a made up mind. It took a while for us to be on good terms with each other again, but we were able to get past it and fights like these ceased to happen. His moving out a year and a half ago also helped.

2 comments:

brad said...

Very well told story about sibling contention. It is good that you guys are good terms again.

Everything is included except for the question of if this fight could have been avoided and what was the lesson learned from this experience?

18/20

brad said...

Hello, Jim, well done with the revision. The question about if this fight could not be avoided, is not very clear though you say, you turned your back. Next time, i would state directly talk about whither it could have been aviod. For instance,saying " This fight could not be avoided because i tired to avoided it when i turned my back." Something like that.

Revised grade: 20/20.